The rules that govern tax-allowable expenditure are very strict and differ depending on whether you are looking to obtain a tax deduction against your NHS employed salary or your untaxed self-employed earnings..


NHS Employment

Tax legislation states the expenditure must be incurred ‘wholly, exclusively and necessarily’ in the performance of your employment duties.

As an employee you must be obliged to incur the expenditure and not just choose to do so as this makes your life easier.

By way of an example, child-minding costs permit you to go to work and are not incurred ‘in the performance of your employment duties’ and as such are not tax deductible.

Whilst the rules are strict, we have assisted hundreds of doctors in identifying and claiming back previously unclaimed expenses:

• Professional subscriptions – GMC, BMA, MDU, MPS, Royal Colleges…
• Travel expenses between multiple hospital bases
• Telephone expenses whilst on call
• Specialist education exam fees, training courses and conferences
• Replacement medical equipment
• Protective work clothing and cleaning
• Higher rate tax relief on private pension contributions

We will put together the relevant expenses claim and submit this to HMRC on your behalf and advise you of the tax refund due. We will also deal with HMRC directly on all matters thereby keeping your direct involvement to a minimum.

Tax refunds can be significant and can be sought for the previous 4 years so contact us now:

Contact Us